By Dr. Joyce M. Woods
Dr. Joyce Woods worked as a medical/surgical nurse, public health nurse, nurse educator, nursing school administrator, occupational health consultant. She holds Bachelor of Nursing, Bachelor of Arts (Specialist), Master of Education degrees, and has completed her doctoral degree in the area of “Indoor Air Pollution, and …it’s effect on your health”
- Begin by thinking of your home as a toxic waste dump. The average home today contains 62 toxic chemicals – more than a chemistry lab at the turn of the century.
- More than 72,000 synthetic chemicals have been produced since WW II.
- Less than 2% of synthetic chemicals have been tested for toxicity, mutagenic, carcinogenic, or birth defects.
- The majority of chemicals have never been tested for long-term effects.
- An EPA survey concluded that indoor air was 3 to 70 times more polluted than outdoor air.
- Another EPA study stated that the toxic chemicals in household cleaners are 3 times more likely to cause cancer than outdoor air.
- CMHC reports that houses today are so energy efficient that “outgassing” of chemicals has no where to go, so it builds up inside the home.
- We spend 90% of our time indoor, and 65% of our time at home. Moms, infants and the elderly spend 90% of their time in the home.
- National Cancer Association released results of a 15 year study concluding that women who work in the home are at a 54% higher risk of developing cancer than women who work outside the home.
- Cancer rates have almost doubled since 1960.
- Cancer is the Number ONE cause of death for children.
- There has been a 26% increase in breast cancer since 1982. Breast cancer is the Number ONE killer of women between the ages of 35 and 54. Primary suspects are laundry detergents, household cleaners and pesticides.
- There has been a call from the U.S./ Canadian Commission to ban bleach in North America. Bleach is being linked to the rising rates of breast cancer in women, reproductive problems in men and learning and behavioral problems in children.
- Chemicals get into our body through inhalation, ingestion and absorption.
- We breathe 10 to 20 thousand liters of air per day.
- There are more than 3 million poisonings every year. Household cleaners are the Number ONE cause of poisoning of children.
- Since 1980, asthma has increased by 600%. The Canadian Lung Association and Asthma Society of Canada identify common household cleaners and cosmetics as triggers.
- ADD/ADHD are epidemic in schools today. Behavioral problems have long been linked to exposure to toxic chemicals and molds. Use of Ritalin has skyrocketed since 1990.
- Chemical and environmental sensitivities are known to cause all types of headaches.
- Labeling laws do not protect the consumer – they protect big business.
- The New York Poison Control Center reports that 85% of product warning labels were either inadequate or incorrect for identifying a poison, and for first aid instructions.
- Formaldehyde, phenol, benzene, toluene, xylene are found in common household cleaners, cosmetics, beverages, fabrics and cigarette smoke. These chemicals are cancer causing and toxic to the immune system.
- Chemicals are attracted to, and stored in fatty tissue. The brain is a prime target for these destructive organics because of its high fat content and very rich blood supply.
- The National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health has found more than 2500 chemicals in cosmetics that are toxic, cause tumors, reproductive complications, biological mutations and skin and eye irritations.
- Fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, arthritis, lupus, multiple sclerosis, circulatory disorders, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome, depression, and hormonal problems are diseases commonly related to chemical exposure.
- Pesticides only have to include active ingredients on the labels, even though the inert (inactive) ingredients may account for 99%, many of which are toxic and poisons.
More facts from Indoor Air Pollution Seminar held on October 23rd, 1999.Our homes should have a complete change of air 3 or 4 time a day. New homes are built so air tight that it is impossible to get a complete change of air. We should leave our windows open on each side of our house for better cross ventilation! Top three culprits of children incidents- Household cleaners, bleach and medications. n the USA the #1 cause of accidental poisoning is Dawn Dishwashing detergent WHY? Because it is the #1 seller.
Tide contains Lye and is the #1 polluter and it is also the #1 seller. Deep Woods Off has an ingredient called DEET. DEET causes seizures in children and adults. Why can they
produce products with such harsh chemical’s: They are protected by trade secret laws!
In the work place Material Safety Data Sheets must accompany any product used. When these same chemicals used our brought into our homes they are not.
The ideal rate of humidity is between 35% and 45%. Anything higher causes mold.
When we use humidifiers or dehumidifiers with standing water we are encouraging mold growth with the standing water.
The ideal temperature in the home is between 68 degrees and 72 degrees, anything higher makes chemicals more active.
When we shower, the hot water combined with the chlorine in the water, can cause major headaches.
Using aerosols causes dizziness.
Steam from our dryer vents is extremely toxic, because of the chemicals from dryer sheets and residue from laundry soap and bleach.
Chemicals used to dry clean clothing are very dangerous and can cause cancer. When you bring dry cleaning home, you should hang it outside for at least 3 days.
Dry-cleaning chemicals are the same cancer causing chemicals that are found in mothballs.
There are 4700 chemicals in tobacco smoke.
Chemicals from carpets and plastic have been found to cause kidney and liver damage.
More products that contain Formaldehyde
Permanent Press clothing
Toxicologist Educator www.Polaris.edu
Wellness Consultant for Melaleuca The Wellness Company -Call me to set up your wholesale shopping account!
www.Melaleuca.com/value The only Global Wellness company I will ever use as a Leukemia survivor!
www.Vitalityforlife.com The only licensed holistic pharmacy to use!
www.saferforyourhome.com The non-toxic “true” green cleaning products to use!
Check out Melaleuca on youtube!!!!